Friday, September 7, 2007

The MRI Results

We received some really good news today! The results from the MRI that took place last Tuesday came back: The left side is clear of any sign of cancer!!!

The previous diagnosis was confirmed on the right side: DCIS in two places. However, on the bright side there was no other cancer found in the right breast other than what we already knew about. Here is an example of an MRI image of DCIS.

It was a great relief to Dawn Ann. She has been a little tense the last few days, worrying about what these test results might reveal. This is the best possible news that we could have expected to receive. Our prayers have been answered.

We have been considering various reconstruction options. Later this month we will be visiting with two different plastic surgeons to consider what the best approach might be in Dawn Ann's case. She was worried that if she had a double mastectomy, that having dual reconstruction might be too much to deal with all at once. Her inclination was to not do reconstruction right away, if she needed a double mastectomy.

The good news is that only a single mastectomy will be needed. Now Dawn Ann can better face the challenges that reconstruction will bring. This news was a huge relief for her, and she was jumping up and down for joy.

Some ladies from our church were at our home (visiting teachers) at the time the phone call came from the doctor's office. After the phone call, Dawn Ann was happy to announce that she will be getting a new perky one! They all had a good laugh at the newfound prospects.

I was excited to hear the news when she called me at work. I felt that a little celebration was in order. So I stopped on my way home from work, and picked up some Dots candy, and a package of hostess snowballs.

With a little creativity, I came up with this:




After the kids went to bed, I prepared a little treat and brought it to her. When she saw my piece artwork, she had a good laugh. It was good for her to laugh. I hope to keep her in good spirits as much as I can during the next weeks, months, . . . and even years as we go through this process. Little unexpected surprises will be a good way to keep her spirits up, and to keep from dwelling too much on fear, and worries about the future.

All in all, its been a really good day, for the things that matter most.

2 comments:

Chele said...

Congratulations! And continued prayers for you and Dawn Ann. My path report came back a little worse that expected (after the surgery). It seems I have IDC (Invasive Ductal Carcinoma); and, as I've mentioned, it's hard to wrap my mid around that. It is, thankfully, only Stage I, but it is a Grade 3/4. I'm waiting to go back to my surgeon for referral to an oncologist, and the consensus to date is chemotherapy. And, for now, we wait!

Blessings!
Namaste,
Chele

Anonymous said...

I am currently going through testing for DCIS I turn 30 on Monday and so frightened for myself and my husband, I will get my results from my stereotactic biopsy on Tuesday just reading what your wife said to you about not feeling like a real woman is the place I'm at now and your response is that of my husbands "there is more to you then your breasts".
I cant wait to show him your blog and hope he finds peace in reading it as I have done today thank you
Lisa uk